By Aromatics International
Hoppin' Juicy Fruit Moisturizing Lip Balm
Use this recipe as a template for a Calendula based healing and protective lip balm. Just use your favorite skin-friendly essential oil blend. Perfect for year-round use.
This recipe makes about 12 lip balms (5 ml size).
- The easiest way to make lip balms is to buy a lip balm tray. These trays hold up to 50 lip balms and allow you to pour the hot melted oils and butter from your Pyrex cup into the tubes easily.
- A Pyrex measuring cup
- A pan that the Pyrex cup fits into
Stick 12 lip balm tubes, uncovered, into the bottom of the tray, so they become the legs of the tray and are easy to fill with the melted lip balm.
- Gather all ingredients and measure them in separate little bowls.
- Blend the vegetable glycerin with the essential oil blend in a separate little bowl.
- Fill the pot about 1/3 way with water and place the Pyrex measuring cup in the pan.
- Add the beeswax to the Pyrex cup, put the burner on medium- enough for a simmer or low boil.
- Stir the beeswax until almost melted.
- Add the calendula oil, stir and take off the heat as soon as it is melted.
- Add the vegetable glycerine and essential oil blend to the Pyrex filled with the melted oils and butters.
- Stir and pour into the lip balm tubes. If the Pyrex lip is not thin enough for pouring into the tubes, you can also use a plastic pipette to siphon up the hot lip balm and squirt it into each tube. It takes longer this way but is more precise. If the lip balm starts to harden, place the Pyrex back into the hot water and it will stay liquid. Fill the tubes to the very top so once hardened, the top is smooth.
- As soon as the liquid has begun to harden (this happens within a few minutes), gently pull the lip tubes out from the bottom, cover and allow to harden a few hours before use.
Note: Vegetable Glycerin is a bit tricky to work with and sometimes will separate out of the oil solution. Stir frequently and well to incorporate. This is an optional ingredient.
To clean your tray: We find it easiest to wipe it off with a paper towel first, to get as much of the extra lip balm off as possible. Then soak in hot water, scrub and run through a dishwasher.
- Peppermint or Spearmint (1-2 drops per tube)
- Peppermint and Orange (2 drops of Peppermint and 3 drops of Orange per tube)
- Lime (steam distilled) (5 drops per tube)
- Sunshine Blend (Juicy fruit replacement - 5 drops per tube)
- Anise and Sweet Orange (2 drops of Anise and 3 drops Sweet Orange per tube)