Posted by Karen Williams on
Breast cancer is a reality in many affluent countries. If you haven't experienced this disease, chances are you know someone who has. The statistics show that 1 in 8 women will encounter this health hazard. My first significant encounter was with my mother-in-law over 26 years ago. People, with good intentions, approached our family with numerous possible cures and suggestions. It was all overwhelming causing family tension.
Roman Chamomile Flower
Over the years, working with women who have had breast cancer, I have come to a few conclusions of my own. The most important being to have a positive outlook. There have been many women and also men, who have tread the road before us. They have conquered one way or another. I have also concluded that there is a way of conquering even if survival isn't the ultimate outcome. Those who have experienced breast cancer remember a feeling of low self-esteem and vulnerability. The fear of the unknown looming overhead. These feelings need to be part of the negativity conquered. A positive outlook can be enhanced by the simple beauty of essential oils.
Some of the essential oils that come to mind are:
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii ) Essential Oil - A beautiful oil, Frankincense is used emotionally to support reflection and introspection. Frankincense also encourages emotional healing on all levels, quiets the mind & supports focused attention and tranquility. Traditionally Frankincense alleviates inflammation, pain, is cooling, and is great used in blends to reduce scar tissue. A bonus is that Frankincense helps boost the immune system.
- Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) Essential Oil - Lavender has an outstanding balancing and healing effect on the nervous system. Lavender's anti-inflammatory, skin-healing properties will help heal burns. Lavender is calming, soothing & nurturing and encourages balance in all body systems. Lavender reduces anxiety and fear, helping to calm and control panic attacks.
- Orange (Sweet) (Citrus sinensis) Essential Oil - Excellent oil to help alleviate depression. Unblocks and circulates stagnant energy, calms those reluctant to ask others for help, and combats pessimism. Orange settles digestion and assists in fighting germs and infections.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) Essential Oil - Peppermint is an anti-inflammatory, stimulating to the circulatory system, and analgesic. Great in cool compresses for nausea, headaches and travel sickness. Excellent in reducing acute, hot pain.
- Chamomile Roman (Chamaemelum nobile) Essential Oil - Roman Chamomile is a wonderful oil for assisting sleep and offers deep rest to the nervous system. Used to ease mood swings and has a profound and fast effect for calming an upset stomach. Great for restless leg syndrome.
- Rose and Geranium (Rosa x damascena/pelargonium x asperum) Essential Oil - A personal favorite with an awesome synergy between Rose and Geranium. Cooling for hot flashes, emotionally uplifting and a tonic for the nervous system. Wonderful emotional qualities to Ease shock, grief and depression. Soothes anger and deep despair, healing the heart.
- Marjoram (Sweet) (Origanum majorana) Essential Oil - Used to help soothe and relax tense muscles. Use it to help sleep with its calming and sedative qualities. I love Marjoram as it calms obsessive thinking, supports self-care, comforts and warms and calms the heart.
Methods of Use:
- Make an inhaler and use often when feeling overwhelmed. Use 16 drops in your inhaler.
- Blend 18 drops in 2 ounces of unscented lotion and smooth onto skin before bedtime for a restful night's sleep.
- Relax and focus on positive thoughts and images.
Questions or comments?! Please email us at: email@example.com!