Essential oils can enhance the mood and spirit of your favorite seasons.
And fall is definitely one of our favorites!
There are so many beautiful fall essential oils that complement the best parts of the season:
- The fresh crispness in the air
- The brilliant reds, oranges, and golds of the trees
- Spending time feeling cozy with cups of tea
- The delicious, spicy scents of good food
And of course, fall is the backdrop for festive and sacred occasions—like Halloween, harvest festivals, and more.
15 Best Fall Essential Oils
Essential oils for fall can help you stay healthy as the weather changes. They can also guide you to deeper introspection, so you can appreciate the past, release it, and consider what’s next for you. Some essential oils can even support your belly as you enjoy all the good food that was gathered during harvest season!
Although there are many incredible oils you can use to celebrate this magical time of year, we’ve compiled a list of our 15 favorite fall essential oils.
Orange blood essential oil has a familiar, orangey scent—but with a deeper, richer note than sweet or wild orange. Its fresh, fruity aroma helps keep your spirits up as the days get shorter. Orange blood oil is also protective, helping to support strong immune health as the cold season sets in.
Cardamom’s sweet, spicy, fresh aroma chases away worries and instills a sense of confidence in your heart. This fall essential oil can warm you up as the weather gets colder. It’s also a good addition to blends for your belly, which you can use after indulging in tasty treats.
If you ever have trouble adjusting to transitions, you’re going to love cedarwood essential oil! It surrounds you with a sweet, woodsy embrace, offering strength and security. Use cedarwood oil to take deep breaths as one season of your life ends, and another begins.
A classic fall essential oil! Let the enchanting scent of cinnamon bark fill you with strength and courage! Just a drop or two in your diffuser can stir your energy and warm you up on a cold day. Cinnamon bark also helps purify your air, protect your immunity, and even supports a happy belly.
Note: Since cinnamon bark is a “hot” oil, we don’t recommend it for topical applications. It’s very effective when inhaled.
Spending time inside (sometimes alone) as the days get shorter might lead you to feel more withdrawn. Clove bud’s sweet, spicy scent sparks your energy so you can keep your heart open with confidence. Like other spicy oils, clove bud is warming, protects your immune health, and is ultra-comforting for your belly.
Looking for peace and stability as the world changes? Cypress essential oil to the rescue! Cypress has a smoky, woodsy, resinous scent that offers emotional security. Use it to balance your perspective, so worries seem less overwhelming. Cypress also helps you breathe deeply and keeps a healthy flow energy moving through your body.
Your skin might need a little support adapting to seasonal changes. Frankincense essential oil nourishes skin and helps to repair it after exposure to damage from the cold or wind. As this fresh, woody, balsamic oil calms your skin, it also soothes your mind, connecting you with inner peace.
Stay warm and cozy with a few drops of ginger essential oil! Ginger’s sweet, spicy scent smells just like the kitchen spice. This is a favorite fall essential oil because of its wide array of benefits: ginger inspires emotional strength and confidence, purifies the environment, boosts immune health, and supports your belly after a big, rich meal of fall foods.
Piney, woody, and resinous, juniper berry oil has an edge of spice in its aroma. It’s an ally when you’re stressed, as it helps you let go of worries. Use this fall essential oil to cleanse stagnant energy out of your body after overindulging in good food and drink. Juniper berry is also excellent for helping to open your breath.
Like orange blood above, orange wild essential oil has a fresh, fruity scent, but it’s a touch more sweet and playful. Orange wild oil is distilled from wild fruits, and is the perfect fall essential oil for feeling bright and free-spirited as the days get darker. It’s also useful for queasy bellies.
Earthy, sweet, and herbal, patchouli oil is just right for creating a cozy, sensual atmosphere. Include it in a body oil to nurture dry winter skin, while soothing nervous energy or low spirits. Patchouli is a grounding essential oil for fall that helps you find the beauty in the moment.
Does fall make you want to just be cozy, rather than productive? That sounds so comforting! But that doesn’t mean you can ignore a busy schedule. Rosemary ct. camphor is a great fall essential oil because it can help you get things done. Its fresh, herbal scent inspires confidence and motivation.
Fall is the perfect time for self-reflection! Sandalwood essential oil is a guide to deeper meditation and self-knowledge. During times of transition (like fall), sandalwood oil helps you consider both where you’ve been and where you’re going. This sweet, woodsy, rich oil is also useful for building resilient immune health during cold season.
Conifers like Siberian fir are must-have essential oils for fall! They’re distilled from evergreen trees, which are masters at thriving in harsh conditions. Siberian fir has an especially sweet, camphoraceous scent. It can help open your breath, while instilling you with a deep-seated sense of calm self-worth, so you feel secure through changes.
Seasonal sniffles? Tuck yourself in under your coziest blanket and reach for a white pine oil blend to support open breathing and restful sleep. White pine oil is protective, encouraging your immune strength as it banishes negative thoughts (which can drain your energy).
Fall favorite hydrosols
Hydrosols are also a great choice to use, especially if you are looking for a more gentle option for children and those with sensitive systems. They also make the perfect base for sprays, such as room and linen sprays.
We also recommend our chai co-distill hydrosol. Ginger, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, star anise, and black pepper are distilled together to create this deliciously spicy, sweet, and warm hydrosol that will surely get you in the perfect mood for all things fall.
How to Use Fall Essential Oils
Room or linen sprays
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a hydrosol, shake well, and spritz around a room or over your linens for a beautiful, therapeutic way to freshen up your favorite spaces with some of these beautiful fall essential oils.
DIY body care products
- Create your favorite autumn-scented body butter, lotion, facial crème, body wash, bath scrub, and so much more.
- Add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to your autumn or Halloween decorations to give them even more pizzazz. You can even sprinkle a few drops of essential oil on a costume for even more effect!
- Have a little one that gets frightened easily, especially during Halloween? Make them a soothing spray that keeps the monsters away! We recommend using lavender hydrosol to soothe and calm, a few drops of sweet orange oil to uplift and bring brightness and light, and white sage hydrosol to clear away negative energy. If you want, sprinkle in a pinch of Epsom salt. Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well before spraying. Let your kiddo decorate the spray bottle for even more fun!
Tummy soothing belly oil
- Sometimes we overdo our celebrations. If your kiddo (or you!) overate candy or indulged in a few too many pumpkin desserts, essential oils can help calm and soothe an upset tummy. For a quick tummy fix, try our Tum-Ease Blend. If you want to craft your own, try this recipe: Belly Digestive Oil.
- Carry your favorite fall essential oil blend with you wherever you go. Place 15-18 drops on a small cotton wick or 18-21 for a large cotton wick. (Only 5-12 drops for children!)
- Fill any room with your favorite aromas to enhance the desired ambiance as well as take advantage of all the therapeutic benefits of the essential oils! For a small diffuser, use 4-6 total drops of essential oil. For a large diffuser, use 8-10 drops.
- Want to transform your diffuser into a fun Halloween themed decoration? Try making your own DIY Essential Oil Pumpkin Diffuser! It’s fun and easy!
2 Favorite Fall Diffuser Blends:
Autumn is such a lovely time to enjoy fun-filled family activities. Along with the usual carving of jack-o-lanterns, playing in leaves, decorating, and making spooky treats, try crafting some Halloween-themed aromatherapy “potions” together. It’s a fun and rewarding experience for kids and adults alike.
To get you started, we’ve included 2 of our favorite fall diffuser blends that are perfect for celebrating the beauty and serenity of fall, the spine-tingling festivities of Halloween, and the hallowedness of ancient harvest festivals. We hope you enjoy playing with these fabulous fall essential oils!